One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The scattering of light by particles in a medium, without change in wavelength. It accounts, for example, for the blue colour of the sky, since blue light is scattered slightly more efficiently than red.Compare with Raman effect
- ‘The red colour in the sky at sunset is due to an effect called Rayleigh scattering.’
- ‘At these wavelengths, Rayleigh scattering is also reduced, increasing visual clarity.’
- ‘This led us to shift the excitation to a lower wavelength to minimize the contribution from Rayleigh scattering in the emission spectra.’
- ‘Additionally, there may be significant scattering by the various species present, including Rayleigh scattering by particles smaller than the wavelength of light.’
- ‘Based on Rayleigh scattering, the sensor can be used to monitor perimeters around secure facilities and prisons.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.