One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A kind of sleep that occurs at intervals during the night and is characterized by rapid eye movements, more dreaming and bodily movement, and faster pulse and breathing.
- ‘If you're awakened during REM sleep, you may recall vivid dreams.’
- ‘Note the decreasing amounts of slow wave sleep and increasing amounts of REM sleep over the course of the night’
- ‘Moreover, the percentage of stable breathing diminished with increasing age, body mass index, REM sleep, and supine position.’
- ‘Franco and colleagues have demonstrated that infants born to smoking mothers have a higher arousal threshold to auditory stimuli during REM sleep.’
- ‘People who don't sleep for long enough or who sleep very lightly, become deprived of REM sleep.’
- ‘Melatonin had no effect on sleep quality, wakefulness, total sleep time, or percentage of time spent in REM sleep.’
- ‘The increase in the power of LF component during the postapneic hyperventilation was significantly more pronounced in non-REM sleep than in REM sleep.’
- ‘A person starts dreaming upon entering REM sleep.’
- ‘Patient reports of dreams experienced during REM sleep tend to be bizarre and detailed, with storyline plot associations.’
- ‘The studies were done during slow wave sleep and REM sleep.’
- ‘When supplemental oxygen was given, all six infants had an increase in sleep duration due largely to an increase in REM sleep.’
- ‘This is especially true in infants, who spend most of their time in sleep, and most importantly in REM sleep.’
- ‘During REM sleep, we dream, and babies twitch and move around.’
- ‘Other species cannot provide information about mental processes during sleep, so controversy surrounds the question of whether or not animals are dreaming during REM sleep.’
- ‘Thus, the model used in this study has important features similar to the neural events during natural REM sleep.’
- ‘It happens during three distinct periods during the night called rapid eye movement or REM sleep.’
- ‘Some think the process is akin to REM sleep, where eye movements accompany the digestion of daytime memories.’
- ‘Most frightening dreams occur during REM sleep, and most REM-altering disorders and medications affect dreaming.’
- ‘Although alcohol can make you drowsy and is in fact a depressant, it can cause a restless sleep and actually may deprive you of needed REM sleep.’
- ‘Suppression of motor output to pharyngeal dilator muscles during non-REM and REM sleep promotes airway closure.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.