One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A machine-readable code consisting of an array of black and white squares, typically used for storing URLs or other information for reading by the camera on a smartphone.‘they were first retailer here to offer QR codes in their advertising’
- ‘Businesses in the U. S. can download a QR code that's unique to their business, directly from their dashboard page.’
- ‘QR codes are likely to be little more than a bit of fun in the short term but could attract consumers to do more than just make calls and send texts.’
- ‘One of the nice things about QR codes, of course, is you can do these things graphically.’
- ‘Bring me your embedded RFID chips, show me your QR codes, hit me with your location-based web apps.’
- ‘"The QR code is the standard 2D bar code format in Japan," he says.’
- ‘In addition, many mobile devices in the North American market are not yet equipped with the technology to utilize the QR code.’
- ‘QR codes, square of black and white pixels, that can be decoded via scanners built into mobile phones are becoming ubiquitous in print media and outdoor in Japan.’
- ‘He is putting a newfangled bar code called a QR code short for "quick response" in his company's store windows and on its advertisements and catalogs.’
- ‘A huge poster showing nothing but a QR code has already gone up in London's Shoreditch to advertise the DVD.’
- ‘Industry experts believe the time is right for QR codes in the UK.’
- ‘There's a URL encoded in the QR code that a new mobile phone application first decodes then launches the browser in your mobile to find.’
- ‘Instead of having straight lines of various thicknesses, QR codes are small squares with lots of data contained in even tinier black squares inside which, when scanned, take your phone directly to a website or link.’
- ‘For the mobile industry QR codes are both a way of making it easier for customers to get to their favourite websites using their mobile and a possible way of generating mobile advertising revenues.’
- ‘Wave your phone over the QR code and the menu appears.’
- ‘QR codes can be placed on business cards or other marketing materials, and customers can scan them with certain smartphones to be taken directly to the mobile version of the Place Page for that business.’
- ‘"QR codes could help drive not only the take-up of high-end camera phones but make more people aware of the mobile internet and more conscious of the potential their phone has to store information about products and services," he said.’
- ‘And if the restaurant has to be set up to receive orders, and phones set up to retrieve up-to-date menus, it would be far easier to stamp QR codes in a discreet place on each table, pointing mobile phones to the restaurant website and also reporting the table number.’
- ‘And scanning the QR codes will only cost whatever your mobile company charges you to use the web.’
- ‘QR codes were created in 1994 to track auto parts during manufacturing since the codes can carry large amounts of quickly scannable data.’
- ‘The two-dimensional barcode, known as QR code for "quick response," was developed in 1994.’
1990s: abbreviated form of quick response code.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.