Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
mass noun, usually as modifier A hard heat-resistant type of glass, typically used for ovenware.‘a set of Pyrex dishes’
- ‘I have a quart-sized Pyrex glass pitcher that's absolutely perfect.’
- ‘It advertised washing machines, electric irons, and Pyrex casseroles.’
- ‘Samples were irradiated in Pyrex vials, which were suspended from a rotating sample holder.’
- ‘Polishing its thick slab of Pyrex glass has been described as the Apollo project of the Great Depression era.’
- ‘Combine maple syrup, butter and lemon juice in large Pyrex measuring cup.’
Early 20th century: an invented word.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.