One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The presiding bishop of the Scottish Episcopal Church, elected by the bishops from among their number.
- ‘Richard Holloway became Bishop of Edinburgh in 1986 and the Primus of the Scottish Episcopalian Church in 1992.’
- ‘This church has a strong past association with a well-known contemporary Scottish figure, Richard Holloway, formerly primus of the Episcopal Church and now more of a lay philosopher and social critic.’
- ‘There is no primus in the Scottish Catholic church, though there are two metropolitans.’
- ‘Church of Scotland moderator, Reverend Andrew McLellan, and the primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church the Most Rev Bruce Cameron will attend ‘in a supporting role’ according to Scottish CND.’
- ‘The Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway has been voted in as the new Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church by the Episcopal Synod earlier in the week.’
Late 16th century: from Latin, literally ‘first’.
A brand of portable cooking stove that burns vaporized oil.
- ‘One of the female elders added that the fuel oil would become stiff and was difficult to use with the Primus stove.’
- ‘On a shelf underneath was a huge and ancient Primus stove.’
- ‘Instruments were sterilised using a pressure cooker (later an autoclave) on a Primus stove.’
- ‘Their establishment is a rather simple affair, consisting of one stool, two crates, a Primus stove, three huge pots and numerous plates.’
- ‘We had to cook our bully beef on a little Primus stove on the deck and rig up our own shade from the sun.’
- ‘As a volunteer for the Royal Air Force, he developed improved mountain rescue methods and in Northern Ireland researched prepacked rations for the flying boats, negating the need for vegetable sacks and a Primus stove on board.’
- ‘The alcohol was so strong it was used for burning the stubble of plucked chickens and for Primus stoves and Tilley lamps.’
- ‘The almost rural surroundings change before you know it and you are soon in the midst of a much older town on a road gone narrow as you pass through Ulsoor with its temples, shops that sell puja essentials, books, clothes and Primus stoves.’
- ‘While my mother made tea on a Primus stove and prepared egg sandwiches, I would climb into the punt, making sure that it was safely tied on with the painter.’
- ‘Then we set about ordering a backpacking stove from each - either an MSR Dragonfly or a Primus MFS, both of which retail for about $100.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.