One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting the speculative philosophers active in the ancient Greek world in the 6th and 5th centuries BC (before the time of Socrates), who attempted to find rational explanations for natural phenomena. They included Parmenides, Anaxagoras, Empedocles, and Heraclitus.
- ‘A just account has to see these Presocratic figures as transitional, with an intellectual impulse to render our world explicable which has much in common with later philosophy and science.’
- ‘He re-evaluated the Presocratic philosophers, who had been criticized by Aristotle.’
- ‘The first group of Presocratic philosophers were from Ionia.’
A Presocratic philosopher.
- ‘Later, other Presocratics discuss the tilting of the heavens.’
- ‘The Presocratics were from either the eastern or western regions of the Greek world.’
- ‘The works of Presocratics, therefore, are normally referred to by numbers.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.