Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting the speculative philosophers active in the ancient Greek world in the 6th and 5th centuries bc (before the time of Socrates), who attempted to find rational explanations for natural phenomena. They included Parmenides, Anaxagoras, Empedocles, and Heraclitus.
- ‘The first group of Presocratic philosophers were from Ionia.’
- ‘He re-evaluated the Presocratic philosophers, who had been criticized by Aristotle.’
- ‘A just account has to see these Presocratic figures as transitional, with an intellectual impulse to render our world explicable which has much in common with later philosophy and science.’
A Presocratic philosopher.
- ‘Later, other Presocratics discuss the tilting of the heavens.’
- ‘The Presocratics were from either the eastern or western regions of the Greek world.’
- ‘The works of Presocratics, therefore, are normally referred to by numbers.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.