Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting or relating to software or devices that are intended to work perfectly when first used or connected, without reconfiguration or adjustment by the user.‘a plug and play device’‘plug and play connectivity’
- ‘The low-profile design is light and comfortable, and the mouse itself is plug and play with either Windows or Mac systems.’
- ‘This plug-and-play webcam has dual microphones for stereo voice communications, supports H.264 video compression and can capture 1080p Full HD/720p HD video at 30fps.’
- ‘The GSW-5150 is a plug-and-play device so no configuration is required.’
- ‘You'll experience clear, digital sound with the simplicity of a single USB plug-and-play connection.’
- ‘The device is sold as a plug-and-play kit and is expected to be available later this month with a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $199.95.’
- ‘Cables and a remote control are included, and the plug-and-play connectivity makes installation a breeze.’
A standard for the connection of peripherals to personal computers, whereby a device only needs to be connected to a computer in order to be configured to work perfectly.
- ‘Once we upgraded, we found that the serial smartcard readers do not work with Plug and Play.’
- ‘The box Intel displayed was equipped with Universal Plug and Play.’
- ‘Plug and Play has almost always been available under Linux through user-space configuration utilities and by using external modules for drivers.’
- ‘NAS appliances install directly into the corporate LAN, often with the ease and simplicity of Plug and Play.’
- ‘If you have an older router that doesn't support universal Plug and Play you may have to manually select a port to stream over the Internet.’
- ‘With Plug and Play, users assure themselves of capabilities commensurate with the technological time frame during which the system will operate.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.