Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A phylum of invertebrates that comprises the flatworms.
- ‘However, opinions do differ for the scoring of three phyla in particular: Platyhelminthes, Nemertea, and Rotifera (variously scored as primitively possessing or lacking a prototroch).’
- ‘For example, both the Nematoda and Platyhelminthes contain obligate parasites as well as free-living species.’
- ‘Frontal glands have been cited in the classical literature as probable homologues of Platyhelminthes and nemerteans.’
- ‘Like other members of the phylum Platyhelminthes, those of the class Turbellaria are dorsoventrally compressed, with high surface area to volume ratios.’
- ‘The simplest animals that are bilaterally symmetrical and triploblastic (composed of three fundamental cell layers) are the Platyhelminthes, the flatworms.’
Modern Latin (plural), from platy- ‘flat’ + Greek helminth worm.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.