Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
One of five regular solids (a tetrahedron, cube, octahedron, dodecahedron, or icosahedron).
- ‘His geometrical inclinations led him to propose that these particles had regular, mathematical shapes: the polyhedra called regular Platonic solids.’
- ‘The final book studies the five Platonic solids as well as the semi-regular Archimedean solids.’
- ‘If each face is an equilateral triangle, the result is a regular tetrahedron, one of the five Platonic solids.’
- ‘The fifth Platonic solid, the dodecahedron, is Plato's model for the whole universe.’
- ‘Kepler connected the planetary orbits with the five regular polyhedra, or Platonic solids.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.