One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of any of various North American peoples who formerly inhabited the Great Plains.
- ‘To represent the Illini with a Plains Indian war bonnet, to name them the ‘fighting Illini,’ and to dress the mascot in the military regalia of a Sioux warrior, is therefore totally inaccurate.’
- ‘A prime example is the 160-year-old, 20-foot-diameter buffalo-hide tepee at the Plains Indian Museum of the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, Wyoming.’
- ‘His introduction to the Plains Indians Wars came in Kansas in 1867.’
- ‘An Indian, especially a Plains Indian, would never be that vulnerable for even that short a time.’
- ‘Grinnell's essential message was this: Plains Indians are human beings with histories of their own.’
- ‘Along with some six hundred period artifacts are life-size reconstructions of a Plains Indian tepee, a long-house from the Northeast, a wooden house from the Northwest, a kiva from the Southwest, and a pioneer wagon.’
- ‘Though her success on the stage was limited, she found an outlet for her skills as storyteller and artisan by establishing a Plains Indian village for children at Long Island's newly developed Jones Beach State Park.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.