One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting a screw with a cross-shaped slot for turning, or a corresponding screwdriver.‘the screws have deeply cut Phillips heads’‘a Phillips-head screwdriver’
- ‘Trying to use a tool poorly suited for the job (like a slotted screw driver on a Phillips screw) often leads to poor results and frustration.’
- ‘The only tools required are a socket wrench with a long extension, a Phillips and regular screwdriver, and a hex key set.’
- ‘I told them if a Phillips screwdriver would not fit, then we could alter the screw to make a flat head screw driver fit.’
- ‘Once you install the screws by hand, you'll need to use a Phillips head screwdriver to tighten them.’
- ‘Using a Phillips screwdriver, attach the lock to the screen with screws and cap nuts.’
1930s: from the name of Henry F. Phillips (died 1958), the original American manufacturer.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.