One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The numerous areas of lymphoid tissue in the wall of the small intestine which are involved in the development of immunity to antigens present there.
- ‘The gut-associated lymphoid tissue includes the appendix and Peyer's patches in the small intestine.’
- ‘Germinal centers are dynamic structures that form in secondary lymphoid tissues like the spleen, lymph nodes, and Peyer's patches.’
- ‘Regional lymph nodes form part of the secondary lymphoid tissue, which includes organized subepithelial aggregations of lymphocytes, such as Peyer's patches in the gut or bronchus associated lymphoid tissue.’
- ‘Tuberculous granulomas are initially formed in the mucosa or the Peyer's patches.’
- ‘Our patient's unusual presentation of intussusception was secondary to the mass effect caused by lymphoid hyperplasia, specifically hypertrophied Peyer's patches in the ileum caused by Y enterocolitica infection.’
Mid 19th century: named after Johann K. Peyer (1653–1712), Swiss anatomist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.