Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A carpet or rug woven in Iran in a traditional design incorporating stylized symbolic imagery, or made elsewhere in such a style.
- ‘A fine Persian rug of a delicate design rests upon the floor.’
- ‘We've been sleeping on their Persian rugs, sitting in their antique chairs and redecorating their walls with our posters (using university-approved poster tacks, of course).’
- ‘After skiing, warm up with hot toddies in the log lodge, cozy with its Persian rugs, overstuffed chairs, slope-facing windows, and 175-ton stone fireplace.’
- ‘These officials, in return, showered many expensive gifts on the crew such as wrist watches, Persian rugs and other items which they were unable to carry in the airplane.’
- ‘Let's say that Persian rugs become hugely fashionable and inexpensive.’
- ‘He almost tripped over a thick Persian rug on the way in.’
- ‘At the first signs of heat, people roll up their Persian rugs and carpeting and store them away in mothballs for at least 5 months.’
- ‘The woolen, semi-antique Persian carpet was woven in Tabriz.’
- ‘Some of the most beautiful Persian carpets were woven in the nineteenth century.’
- ‘Nearly everything including the Persian rug was either pink or white.’
- ‘He collected Persian rugs, small antique silver pieces, and antique maps.’
- ‘We used the money to barter, badly, for cheap Persian rugs, stale aftershaves and fool's gold.’
- ‘It boasts of several Islamic style arches, Italian marble, Persian carpets, exquisite woodwork, large garden, two dining rooms and six bedrooms.’
- ‘He was at that time inspired by designs for Persian carpets and oversize clothes.’
- ‘It was a lovely room, with thick red curtains and Persian rugs.’
- ‘Cedric paced around a Persian rug with his hands behind his back.’
- ‘He appears to be influenced by the designs of Persian rugs, by musical scores and by the Pattern & Decoration movement.’
- ‘I almost feel like going out and buying a Persian rug myself.’
- ‘Approaching the entryway, however, she slowed her silent pace on the luxurious Persian rugs so that she could take a few moments to observe.’
- ‘There were real hardwood floors with fine Persian rugs scattered about.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.