Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An order of mammals that comprises the odd-toed ungulates.Compare with Artiodactyla
- ‘Some later authors have favored placement of Cetacea closer to Perissodactyla among living orders.’
- ‘However, it is noted that horses, an outgroup species from the order Perissodactyla, are also classified with pigs and camels.’
- ‘Artiodactyls stand in contrast to the ‘odd-toed ungulates,’ the Perissodactyla, in which the plane of symmetry runs down the third toe.’
- ‘With these 11 taxa, it was possible to score support for the benchmark clades Carnivora, Cetartiodactyla, and Perissodactyla.’
- ‘‘Odd-toed’ or ‘odd-hoofed’ mammals make up the Perissodactyla.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek perissos uneven + daktulos finger, toe.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.