Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of an American Indian people inhabiting parts of SE Maine and, formerly, SW New Brunswick.
- ‘He was an ethnologist and he recorded all of these songs and tales of the Passamaquoddy Indians.’
- ‘But both the Atlantic Policy Congress and Akagi say the St. Croix Scoodic band of the Passamaquoddy in Canada never ceded its traditional territory throughout 200 years of continuous encroachment by the province and town.’
- ‘Representatives of Maine's Penobscot and Passamaquoddy Indians, who assisted the Maliseets in their negotiations with the state, attended the ceremony.’
2[mass noun] The Algonquian language of the Passamaquoddy, now with few speakers.
Relating to the Passamaquoddy or their language.
- ‘The issue of whether non-status persons of Mi'kmaq, Maliseet, and Passamaquoddy ancestry are entitled to treaty rights affirmed by Marshall must be resolved;’
- ‘The town and the federal government maintain there is no Passamaquoddy band in Canada.’
- ‘Later, at a senior's hall in nearby Mace's Bay, we discussed CBM efforts in local scallop management and met with Hugh Akagi, Chief of the Passamaquoddy First Nation.’
- ‘Akagi, whose mother was ‘half Native ‘and his father Japanese, said that although there supposedly are no Passamaquoddy people in St. Andrews, the town nonetheless did not charge his family property tax when his mother was alive.’’
- ‘The Passamaquoddy and Penobscot tribes send to the Maine legislature a representative who is permitted to speak only on matters connected with the affairs of the Indian reservations.’
From a Micmac name for Passamaquoddy Bay, literally place where pollack are plentiful.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.