Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A fungal disease of bananas producing yellowing and wilting of the leaves.
- ‘Both major banana companies ultimately overcame the problem of Panama disease by planting banana varieties that had been cultivated for centuries in Southeast Asia.’
- ‘The two most dangerous diseases are Panama disease and Sigatoka.’
- ‘Then Panama disease, a soil fungus, attacked banana plantations and the genetically enfeebled Gros Michel banana was virtually wiped out.’
- ‘Eventually, disease-resistant varieties came into common use and Panama disease is no longer a major commercial threat.’
- ‘In the early part of the decade, Panama disease plagued the banana crops.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.