Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large window consisting of a central arched section flanked by two narrow rectangular sections.
- ‘Above the three entrance doors is a Palladian window flanked by two large sash windows, and in the pediment there is an oval window surrounded by graceful foliate carvings.’
- ‘A Palladian window still dominates this rear view; it is Johnson Hall's single most conspicuous concession to formal British architectural style.’
- ‘Its centerpiece is a Palladian window with a central panel.’
- ‘A louvered Palladian window in the center of the pediment has quarter-round louvers on each side.’
- ‘The mansion had a symmetrical front, with narrow side windows flanking the front door; there were five windows across the second floor, including a Palladian window in the middle.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.