One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A white New Zealander as opposed to a Maori.as modifier ‘Pakeha influences’
- ‘So it's a mystery why, unique in the world, some European New Zealanders refer to themselves as pakehas - an insulting name originally applied by the Maoris to the fair-skinned Imperialists who were in the process of conquering them!‘.’
- ‘Haast named the pass after himself and claimed to be the first pakeha to have travelled through it, but the discovery of Cameron's flask discredited this claim.’
- ‘The latest New Zealand Census-Mortality Study shows that Maori die younger than pakeha, even after controlling for socioeconomic status.’
- ‘He ignores all the advantages pakeha have inherited: wealth and land, and also dominance, confidence, privilege, and a society that is set up to convenience us.’
- ‘I am still in a dilemma of how, as a pakeha, to present this relationship and history.’
- ‘In the same speech he uttered the weighty words ‘Maori and pakeha are both indigenous people to New Zealand now‘.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.