One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A native or inhabitant of any of the islands in the South Pacific, especially an indigenous person of Polynesia.
- ‘The project's long-term objective is to give Pacific Islanders - who are facing climate-related issues such as drought and fish poisoning - a way to sustainably grow crops using minimal water and no pesticides.’
- ‘NCAPA is the nation's leading coalition of national advocacy organizations serving Asian Americans, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander communities.’
- ‘So where should a Pacific Islander go for fresh caught fish without an ocean near by?’
- ‘Nokise is the first Pacific Islander to work fulltime on the United Kingdom stand-up comedy circuit.’
- ‘He is currently the highest ranking native Pacific Islander serving in the U.S. government.’
- ‘Tongans and Samoans are now the largest segment of Utah's Polynesian community, accounting for more than two-thirds of the Pacific Islander population.’
- ‘Those who came across the world could see just how vulnerable atolls are to sea-level rise, and could get a sense of the great cultural and linguistic diversity of Pacific islanders.’
- ‘I currently teach classes with white, Hispanic, Asian, and Pacific Islander students.’
- ‘Carson has a high Pacific Islander population.’
- ‘Ancient Pacific Islanders had surprisingly accurate maps made out of palm fronds, with shells marking positions of islands.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.