One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A file format for capturing and sending electronic documents in exactly the intended format.as modifier ‘PDF files’
- ‘Our website also carries at least three complete articles per back number in pdf format.’
- ‘Each time a new issue is posted on our Web site, an e-mail will go out with a link to a PDF file.’
- ‘Back issues are posted in both PDF and HTML versions.’
- ‘All current issues of their mags are free to download in pdf.’
- ‘Registered students have access to the PDF files via the University's distance learning Web site.’
- ‘Many students will print these notes from either word processor or pdf files.’
- 1.1count noun A file in PDF format.‘I sent him a PDF of the article’
- ‘However, it was used improperly in the pdf.’
- ‘The most interesting is on the state of the aviation industry, running to 52 pages in a pdf.’
- ‘A designer couldn't just email a pdf to the client in what seems like an easy, two-second process.’
- ‘The link should download a pdf of the press release announcing the new logo.’
- ‘Having said that, a pdf would appear to be the easiest option.’
1990s: abbreviation of Portable Document Format.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.