Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A palmtop computer that functions as a personal organizer but also provides email and Internet access.
1990s: abbreviation of personal digital assistant.
A public display of affection.‘Donna and James were spied indulging in a PDA’as modifier ‘at least your embarrassing PDA moment wasn't caught on camera’
- ‘Even married couples experience awkward PDA moments.’
- ‘The pretty blonde and her beau put on an extremely passionate PDA as they enjoyed a holiday in the Canary Islands.’
- ‘Successful office romancers agree: keep PDA away from the office.’
- ‘The French Riviera turned out to be the perfect spot for two couples to pack on the PDA.’
- ‘The couple got caught up in the moment as they shared a passionate PDA in the garden outside their villa.’
- ‘Their tumultuous affair and highly-publicised PDA regularly grabbed the headlines.’
- ‘This pair too got tempted to indulge in PDA on TV.’
- ‘The pair then engaged in yet another PDA with a very public smooch in his black Bentley convertible.’
- ‘Then again, we don't blame them for pouring on a little PDA.’
- ‘We have exclusive photos of their super-romantic PDA session.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.