One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nountrademark in US
A board with letters, numbers, and other signs around its edge, to which a planchette, movable pointer, or upturned glass moves, supposedly in answer to questions from people at a seance.
- ‘One morning the bundle was inexplicably scattered about, and Fanny (an ardent spiritualist herself) consulted a Ouija board about the cause of the disruption.’
- ‘Your answer to the question about Ouija boards brought back a rather amusing story of my own experience with the devil board.’
- ‘The Ouija board has all 26 letters of the alphabet and the numbers from 0 to 9 drawn on it.’
- ‘At the time, this did not concern me because, as an 8 year old, 14 years in the future seemed an eternity, and I didn't believe in Ouija boards anyway.’
- ‘A Ouija board is used in divination and spiritualism.’
- ‘I had seen one too many cult films about Ouija boards to get one of those but the cards seemed safe.’
- ‘The detector was seated in front of an alphabet board modeled after the Ouija board.’
- ‘Though I'd been warned about Ouija boards by church youth leaders, this didn't look like anything that could hurt me.’
- ‘Though raised by scientists, I sometimes find Ouija boards hard to explain.’
- ‘She arranged her Ouija board, her crystal, and her ‘Holy Bible’ and she was ready.’
- ‘Players uncomfortable with the possibility that they are being ‘played’ might decide to give up the Ouija board altogether.’
- ‘One thing I did believe, however, was the Ouija board.’
- ‘She was moving so subtly that I imagined I was a giant Ouija board.’
- ‘Yup, gone are the days when contact with the spirit world involved a glass, a Ouija board and a candlelit Victorian drawing room.’
- ‘Jane's belief that she was possessed by spirits had its origin in a session with a Ouija board when it began to glide under her fingers and spell out messages from the Great Beyond.’
- ‘It explains why the planchette, in response to questions, glides so smoothly over the Ouija board to spell answers which seem to come from spirits.’
- ‘In some sense, therefore, the device allows the cursor to be a planchette in a virtual Ouija board effect.’
- ‘Age scoffs at those who think this is all about Ouija boards and séances.’
- ‘There was a tale told that Ouija boards held the souls of the dead within them.’
- ‘I had asked everyone if it was okay for me to bring my Ouija board the previous week, and even though they were all afraid of it, they said yes.’
Late 19th century: of uncertain origin: possibly from French oui ‘yes’ + German ja ‘yes’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.