One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The French language up to c.1400.
- ‘The word entered the English language in the late 14th century from Old French magique.’
- ‘42 Scholars believe that three copies of the manuscript in Old French may exist, but only one is accessible.’
- ‘‘Demontrance’ means in Old French the act of showing as well as the object being shown.’
- ‘The word turns up in Old French as salade and then in late 14th-century English as salad or sallet.’
- ‘So determined was Joan to solve the mystery she taught herself Old French and obtained microfilm of the same Guiot manuscript Professor Kibler used for the Penguin Classic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.