Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A Greek hexameter epic poem traditionally ascribed to Homer, describing the travels of Odysseus during his ten years of wandering after the sack of Troy. He eventually returned home to Ithaca and killed the suitors who had plagued his wife Penelope during his absence.
- 1.1A long and eventful or adventurous journey or experience.‘his odyssey from military man to politician’
- ‘The book has been criticized for being outlandish but its appeal lies in its strong narrative voice and its Odyssean story line.’
- ‘Pound's eye is always on resourceful intelligences, embodiments of the Odyssean archetype.’
- ‘You don't, in fact, have to do much to present a story in Odyssean terms.’
- ‘This talented photographer made an Odyssean journey from his home in California to photograph Britain's stables out of personal interest.’
- ‘Anderson cuts back the distracting noises and crumbling static to reveal a stark paean about Odyssean fortitude.’
- 1.1A long and eventful or adventurous journey or experience.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.