One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a people of central Nigeria.
- ‘Judith Perani and Norma H. Wolff have a combined total of over fifty years of research experience focused on the Nupe, Yoruba, and Hausa.’
- ‘Other large ethnic groups include the Ibibio, the Ijaw, the Kanuri, the Nupe, and the Tiv.’
2mass noun The Benue-Congo language of the Nupe, with over 1 million speakers.
- ‘William Fagg was a man of lists, and many appear in the notebooks: lists of words for ironworking and tools, written in Hausa and Nupe and with their English translation; of purchases and prices (in shillings); of Igbo mask names.’
- ‘English is the official language; however, Yoruba, Ibo, and Hausa represent the principal languages, joined by Kanuri, Fulani, Nupe, Tiv, Edo, Ijaw and Ibibio.’
Relating to the Nupe or their language.
- ‘This discussion reveals the factors that contributed to the decline of Hausa and Nupe cloth by the end of the century in contrast to Yoruba aso-oke cloth, which was as vital as ever.’
- ‘Part 2, on the development of Hausa, Nupe, and Yoruba cloth and dress traditions, provides an in-depth look at these three areas over time, enriched by the authors' extensive field research.’
- ‘For most of the 1870's Bishop Crowther established a formal alliance with the rulers of the Nupe kingdom as the southern outpost of the Sokoto Caliphate which was ostensibly being erected on the basis of a slave economy.’
- ‘R. E. Bradbury points out that the ‘multiplicity of settlement in the relatively small Ekperi tribe is due to scattering, during the last century, by Nupe raiders’.’
- ‘Gardi acknowledges the rich literature on Hausa Nupe boubou forms and embroidery and mentions recent work on Ghana.’
- ‘There are more than 250 photographs from northern Nigeria, Nupe country, and the Jos Plateau.’
- ‘The first category, for example, concerns Hausa, Nupe, and Yoruba boubous.’
The name of a former kingdom at the confluence of the Niger and Benue Rivers in West Africa.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.