One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounNorth American
An artificial material designed to resemble leather, made from fabric coated with rubber or vinyl resin.
- ‘It was such a lovely warm day our crazy neighbor to the west spent most of the afternoon smoking while sitting in the harvest gold, Naugahyde recliner she keeps in her garage.’
- ‘He made the circle of Naugahyde chairs, pumping our hands.’
- ‘Brian was sitting on his bed, and his parents were sitting in the twin Naugahyde armchairs, facing Dolores.’
- ‘Pulleys are fashioned from camshafts, benches constructed of steel piping, scrap wood and faux Naugahyde.’
- ‘Their teacher sat waiting in a low-slung Naugahyde chair.’
Early 20th century: from Nauga(tuck), the name of a town in Connecticut, US, where rubber is manufactured, + -hyde (alteration of hide).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.