Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large tropical American tree-nesting duck, having glossy greenish-black plumage in the wild but bred in a variety of colours as a domestic bird.
- ‘Rack of lamb and five-spiced Muscovy duck are both beautifully prepared, just as the John Dory with tomato and the sea bass with fennel are both tender as a child's first yawning, but the results are too placid.’
- ‘The Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said Muscovy ducks are not considered wildlife and are not protected birds.’
- ‘Imprint was right to point out that Millie was a Muscovy duck - a native of South America.’
- ‘In the elegant Alexander Girard-designed room, choose from a wine list of several hundred vintages and entrées like black pepper Muscovy duck steak, which reflects the region's Spanish influences.’
- ‘Since the good rain, snails have bred up, take action now to get a Muscovy ducks, or remove the snails by hand or use snail bait, particularly on seedlings.’
- ‘If you're angling toward red meat, order the sweetly gamy Muscovy duck, or the lamb, which is encased in a pepper crust.’
- ‘Three things that I didn't know earlier about Muscovy ducks: They are strong fliers, they like to perch on houses, gates, trees, fences and barn roofs, and they are really quite tame.’
- ‘The menu here is diverse and includes albacore ceviche, crispy pizza with chorizo sausage, and Muscovy duck confit with white beans.’
- ‘Its primary ingredient is heart and liver cells from Muscovy ducks.’
- ‘One or two Muscovy ducks will keep your garden free of snails and are not noisy as some breeds of ducks can be.’
- ‘Here I observed a number of domestic ducks, including a Muscovy duck, a mallard hybrid, and the Pekin duck, along with a greylag goose.’
- ‘The bland blue-fin-tuna carpaccio seemed to have been previously frozen, and my salad of thinly sliced Muscovy duck tasted properly gamy but dry as shoe leather.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.