One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An imitation rustic West Country accent used by actors.
- ‘An example of Mummerset would be ‘Baint be thet bor’ (It is not that boy).’
- ‘It sounds to me like the most affected and clueless type of Mummerset but I'm no expert.’
- ‘She grinned and sang ‘Faarmer Brown's cow went POOP against the waaall’ in the ripest of Mummerset accents.’
- ‘I'm not bad at doing generic Scouse, Geordie, Brummie, Mummerset etcetera but not so good at imitating specific people's voices.’
- ‘I hope they don't give her an exaggerated Mummerset accent in the film.’
1950s: probably from mummer, on the pattern of Somerset.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.