One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1trademark mass noun Music released on or reminiscent of the US record label Tamla Motown. The first black-owned record company in the US, Tamla Motown was founded in Detroit in 1959 by Berry Gordy, and was important in popularizing soul music, producing artists such as the Supremes, Stevie Wonder, and Marvin Gaye.
- ‘Her mother and father's love of Motown, Bowie and the Beatles sparked Sally's interest in music as a youngster.’
- ‘Though the Motor City's renowned for giving the world techno and Motown, it's a place with a complex musical history.’
- ‘It was the sound of the Beatles and Motown that the youth bought into.’
- ‘I love all kinds of artists, from Patsy Cline to the Beatles, Motown to Hoobastank.’
- ‘The Super Bowl is being held in Detroit this year - the home of Motown.’
- ‘There are nods to Motown, the Isley Brothers and the early hip-hop beats favoured by Evelyn in his younger B-boy days.’
- ‘In the 1970s, there was no cinema equivalent of Motown or the long tradition of U.S. Jazz.’
- ‘There were three heats and on each night contestants had to sing songs with the themes of Motown, Elvis, country and western or New York.’
- ‘Detroit is the city of Motown, but the player was singing the blues.’
- ‘Indeed, much of the album resonates with Gospel, Quincy Jones and Motown.’
- ‘We were exposed to a lot of free jazz and we listened to lots of Motown.’
- ‘Here was someone who knew Motown but was pretty handy on a mandolin; just the sort of versatile musician they knew could sell.’
- ‘She had this album in the car and it was kind of Motown and it had a song on it which I really liked.’
- ‘They draw from Motown and soul, two other elements that only Detroit could handle.’
- ‘He was this skinny white bald guy, but he was really moved by blues and Motown and funk.’
- ‘I started singing to you to try and calm you down: Beatles, Motown, Mammas and Papas, even Frank Zappa.’
- ‘I remember being a young girl and embracing the music of Motown.’
- ‘I just wanted to get back to stuff like Motown and guitar music like Texas and Travis.’
- ‘That's it, no more Beatles, Motown or Bowie; it makes you hyperactive.’
- ‘Roy Dea, his record producer, had first been bowled over by a demo tape of Stewart singing Motown.’
2informal name for Detroit
1960s: shortening of Motor Town, by association with the car manufacturing industry of Detroit.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.