Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1trademark A type of electric food processor.figurative ‘he needs to put together policy proposals, ideas, and advice in a kind of cerebral Mixmaster’
- ‘My parents assumed they were due a bigger fridge with freezer, four burner stove and three-rack oven, dishwasher, toaster, mixmaster etc.’
- ‘Streamlining was egalitarian, adding modern beauty to useful designs - from lamps to Mixmasters - priced for everyone.’
2informal A sound-recording engineer or disc jockey who is an accomplished mixer of music, during recording or as a disc jockey.
- ‘At its best, his guitar mixmaster is pretty fascinating.’
- ‘The mixmaster in the spotlight this time is an obvious fan of old-school funk, hip-hop, electro and reggae.’
- ‘I've been playing mixmaster for the last ten minutes - and have come to the conclusion that the future of the rap record industry is quite safe.’
- ‘The Montreal native is a mixmaster who has been pleasing the crowds internationally with his solid skills and knack for picking the perfect blend of music.’
- ‘Not, as you might think, an organisation that cares for old, decrepit deejays, but a charity set up by mixmasters to donate money to a Music Therapy Trust.’
- ‘This dedicated mixmaster made the transition from bedroom DJ to live performer during his mid teens.’
- ‘He earned critical praise from the mixmaster as well as a few handy words of advice.’
- ‘Listening to the seamless blend of this new album, it's easy to assume the mixmaster is indulging in a lifelong musical obsession.’
- ‘After successfully contributing remixes to several collections, he puts together his own compilation featuring fellow mixmasters and band favourites.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.