Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the UK and some other countries) a government minister who has cabinet status, but is not in charge of a specific department of state.
- ‘Wu also attacked Tang for assigning the Cabinet's secretary-general Wea Chi-lin and Minister without Portfolio Chang Yu-hui, regarded as traitors by the KMT, to negotiate with the KMT-dominated legislature.’
- ‘Chang received an official seal yesterday from Minister without Portfolio Yeh Jiunn-rong, who said Chang had been praised by legislators and the public for his experience in the environmental sector.’
- ‘Russell was to be Foreign Secretary, Palmerston Home Secretary, Gladstone Chancellor, Lansdowne Minister without Portfolio.’
- ‘Iap was reassigned from the GIO top job yesterday and will be replaced by Minister without Portfolio Huang Hui-chen.’
- ‘The other Cabinet members honored were Ministers without Portfolio Tsai Ching-yen, Chen Chi-nan and Yeh Jiunn-rong.’
- ‘Premier Yu Shyi-kun yesterday appointed Minister without Portfolio Huang Hui-chen as the director-general of the Government Information Office, effective Tuesday.’
- ‘Swapo stalwart Ngarikutuke Tjiriange, Party Secretary General, gets to be Minister without Portfolio, and it's generally assumed he is already past his sell-by date.’
- ‘Shastri also resigned, but returned to the Cabinet as Minister without Portfolio and the Prime Minister's right-hand man when Nehru suffered a stroke.’
- ‘The prime focus of the criticism was Effi Eitam, who now becomes head of the NRP and Minister without Portfolio, as well as a full voting member of the national security cabinet.’
- ‘In 1957 he retired but five years later returned as Minister without Portfolio in the Cabinet.’
- ‘Responding to rumors that the Cabinet might cancel the summit, Minister without Portfolio Hu Sheng-cheng, who is in charge of coordinating the event, dismissed the speculation yesterday.’
- ‘The idea was first brought up by Minister without Portfolio Yeh Jiunn-rong, the leader of Taiwan's delegation to the summit, in Johannesburg last week before coming home.’
- ‘After two years of working on reconstruction projects in quake-stricken regions of central Taiwan, Minister without Portfolio Huang Jong-tsun will finally return to education circles.’
- ‘A member of the National Assembly until his death, he was a Minister without Portfolio 1945-6, and Deputy Prime Minister 1946-7, but then the other parties began to shun the Communist Party as a result of the onset of the cold war.’
- ‘He served as Minister without Portfolio, Minister of Local Government and Minister of Health.’
- ‘As the premier on Friday appointed Minister without Portfolio Hsu Chih-hsiung to lead the investigation into the notarization issue, Hsu said the focus won't be the alleged ties between Wang and Chien.’
- ‘Joining us now to talk about that is Natan Sharansky, Minister without Portfolio in the government of Israel.’
- ‘Shuleva said that she had no information that such a deal had been closed and that Minister without Portfolio Filiz Hyusmenova was responsible for the control of the State Reserve.’
- ‘The apology was accepted and Hendrickse remained in the Cabinet as a Minister without Portfolio.’
- ‘According to the Government statement, Minister without Portfolio Filiz Hyusmenova, who chairs the committee, emphasised the need to insure property against such disasters.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.