One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK and Commonwealth countries) a decoration for distinguished active service on land, instituted in 1916 (originally for enlisted soldiers).
- ‘He served in the French army during the First World War and was awarded a Military Medal.’
- ‘The Germans were killed and Private Hall's actions earned him the Military Medal.’
- ‘Before 1993 only officers received the Military Cross, other ranks receiving the Military Medal.’
- ‘He fought in the trenches at Delville Wood and Paschaendale, for which he was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal and also the Military Medal for bravery.’
- ‘He won the Military Medal, but was best loved for his ability to cook up ‘amazing’ meals from nothing.’
- ‘One East and one West African brigade participated in the re-taking of Abyssinia and one man from each was awarded the Military Medal.’
- ‘They were one of the most decorated small units of the war, with three DSOs, one Military Cross, one DCM and four Military Medals.’
- ‘His Military Medal and war service medal were also put up for sale.’
- ‘Harry, who died last month, was educated at Lees Primary School where his father Arthur, who won the Military Medal for bravery in the First World War, was headmaster.’
- ‘A second World War soldier who was awarded the Military Medal for bravery died from blood clots in his lungs as a result of deep vein thrombosis.’
- ‘Ron also led his platoon by example, which resulted in him being awarded the Military Medal for bravery under fire.’
- ‘Arthur won the Military Medal for the action in which he was killed but the citation detailing the courage that cost him his life was probably thrown on to a bonfire of family papers that is said to have burned for two days.’
- ‘Martin Bentley, 47, bearer of the Military Medal for bravery, was with his two daughters aged nine and 14.’
- ‘Les returned from the war in 1944 with a Military Medal, and held his son Bryan for the first time.’
- ‘The Military Medal awarded to him before his death will also feature in the exhibition alongside his British War Medal 1914-1920 and his Victory Medal 1914-1919.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.