Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A major division of bats which comprises all but the fruit bats.
- ‘The other major group of bats, the Microchiroptera or microbats, is quite ecologically diverse.’
- ‘An additional explanation for the absence of either mode in Microchiroptera is their reliance on echolocation, and their need to maintain regular sensory input.’
- ‘The bats with which most people are familiar belong to the Microchiroptera.’
- ‘The two suborders of bats, Megachiroptera and Microchiroptera, use different sensory modalities for perceiving their environment.’
- ‘There are two major groups of bats, usually given the rank of suborders, Megachiroptera and Microchiroptera.’
Modern Latin (plural), from micro- ‘small’ + Greek kheir hand + pteron wing.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.