Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A free-swimming sexual form of a coelenterate such as a jellyfish, typically having an umbrella-shaped body with stinging tentacles around the edge. In some species, medusae are a phase in the life cycle which alternates with a polypoid phase.Compare with polyp
- ‘A medusa, or jellyfish, is part of the life cycle of just one major group of animals, the cnidarians.’
- ‘In polyps, medusae, and worms, all longitudinal and circumferential muscles attach to the thin body wall over a wide area.’
- ‘Scyphozoan polyps and medusae exhibit no cephalization and contain no brain, but in some species, light-sensitive eyespots are located along the bell margin of the medusa.’
- ‘Two major adult body types characterize the phylum: the medusa is typically a mobile pelagic organism, and the polyp is typically a sessile benthic organism.’
- ‘Cnidarians have two basic body forms, medusa and polyp.’
- 1.1 A jellyfish.
- ‘In studies with a microscope, Forbes had shown that hydroid jellyfish known as naked-eyed medusae reproduce not only by spewing eggs, but also by asexual budding, which he found marvelous to behold.’
- ‘Remaining undigested by the medusa, the small snail will devour its host from within, growing larger as its host is correspondingly diminished in size.’
- ‘This specialized tank creates a waterflow that keeps medusae and other delicate animals in constant suspension assuring that their tissues are not destroyed by abrasive contact with aquarium walls.’
- ‘Noteably, all epipelagic, midwater, and deepsea medusae have very simple, reduced, or absent ocelli.’
- ‘Predation by an abundance of medusae on zooplankton and ichthyoplankton could affect the North Sea ecosystem through top-down and bottom-up mechanisms.’
Mid 18th century: named by association with Medusa.
proper nounGreek Mythology
The only mortal gorgon, whom Perseus killed by cutting off her head.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.