Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the US) a federal system of health insurance for people requiring financial assistance.
- ‘The worst year was 1960, before Medicare and Medicaid were established.’
- ‘Medicare and Medicaid, on the other hand, are better at paying for mental health.’
- ‘And much of that is going to come out of your own pocket unless you qualify for Medicare or Medicaid.’
- ‘Addressing the challenges facing Medicare and Medicaid will be far more difficult.’
- ‘In the USA most health facilities are privately funded, apart from Medicare and Medicaid.’
1960s: from medical + aid.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.