Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘she can have lean turkey with mustard and skip the mayo’short for mayonnaise
- ‘Inscribe this on my tombstone: He liked his mayo, but gave his life for his schmaltz.’
- ‘There's no special sauce or anything, although they do use ketchup, mustard and mayo.’
- ‘I had a hummus and chicken wrap with roasted peppers that would have been delicious but for the watery mayo it was drenched in.’
- ‘The big man was delighted with his prawns, which were simply but attractively presented with the garlic mayo served in half an oyster shell.’
- ‘It's particularly tough to notice the excess in California rolls because the white crab conceals the mayo.’
- ‘First prepare the mayo: place the egg yolks, mustard, 1 tsp lemon juice and plenty of salt and pepper in a food processor and process for a few seconds.’
- ‘Than he would come back five hours later for lunch and he would sit in the same stool and order the pastrami on rye, easy on the mayo and a large coke, with a side curly fries.’
- ‘Stir together the mayo and the creme fraiche or sour cream.’
- ‘To add zip to your fat-free mayo, mix in some cayenne pepper.’
- ‘You can have marinated chicken and spiced mayo in a French loaf or grilled aubergine with mozzarella in multi-grain bread.’
- ‘Ginger-wasabi mayo and Asian slaw spark the wine's lemony finish.’
- ‘I always bring things like pre-made chicken salad, tuna salad and salmon salad - minus the mayo.’
- ‘Yes, this carnivore's haven offers a veggie burger that, when ordered without the mayo, is actually low in fat.’
- ‘I said that because of the condiments: the mustard and mayo, the lettuce, tomato and onion.’
- ‘To save calories, hold the mayo and add some yourself if you need it.’
- ‘The mayo calls for 2 egg yolks, salt, dry mustard, vinegar, and one cup of olive oil.’
- ‘The potato base was accompanied by generous chunks of salmon and leak and served with salad and a wasabi mayo.’
- ‘Mix together the low-fat mayo with the cheese and garlic.’
- ‘On our last visit we tried the BBQ pork with pickles, mayo, soya sauce and cilantro for $3.50.’
- ‘As we all know, the mayo in the tuna, the oil in the tofu and chocolate chips in the pudding contain enough calories and fat for an entire day.’
A county in the Republic of Ireland, in the north-west in the province of Connacht; county town, Castlebar.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.