Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A test for immunity to tuberculosis using intradermal injection of tuberculin.
- ‘Physicians should read the Mantoux test at 48 to 72 hours after application because parents and other lay persons do not have the ability to read the test results accurately.’
- ‘The results of the Mantoux test may be falsely negative in severe malnutrition.’
- ‘The controls were selected from the medical outpatient department based on normal haemogram, normal liver and renal function tests, a normal chest radiograph and a negative Mantoux test.’
- ‘The Mantoux test is the preferred tool to use for tuberculosis skin testing.’
- ‘Results of a Mantoux test and sputum test for acid-fast bacilli were negative.’
1930s: named after Charles Mantoux (1877–1947), French physician.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.