One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sedative drug containing methaqualone and diphenhydramine hydrochloride.
- ‘Across sites, Mandrax was the second most commonly detected drug, with approximately one in five arrestees testing positive for this substance.’
- ‘Dagga and Mandrax remain the biggest problem drugs in South Africa, according to Central Drug Authority chairman Frank Kahn.’
- ‘Such a person's body has developed a tolerance to Mandrax and needs to use more to reach the same effects.’
- ‘The initial effects of Mandrax may include feelings of euphoria, a brief loss of consciousness, nausea, and stupor.’
- ‘Indications are that they were sold by drug addict thieves desperate for Mandrax.’
1960s: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.