Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of a people inhabiting southern Tanzania and NE Mozambique.
- ‘Throughout the late colonial period, many Makonde fled the Portuguese regime, taking refuge in what was then Tanganyika across the Rovuma River border.’
- ‘Farther north are the Makonde near the coast and the Yao near Lake Malawi.’
- ‘He saw a photograph of a sculpture by the Makonde of East Africa.’
- ‘I could only surmise that these Makonde had taken Swahili names to ease their assimilation into coastal society, creating confusion among non-resident park officials.’
- ‘One of the most important events in the life of a Makonde was initiation.’
2[mass noun] The Bantu language of the Makonde, with about 1 million speakers.
- ‘The existence of a standardized orthography for either Yao or Makonde is unknown to us as of this writing.’
Relating to the Makonde or their language.
- ‘A white-jacketed Makonde waiter brought plates mounded with chicken and rice cooked over a fire.’
- ‘The Makonde practice initiation ceremonies that integrate young people into the adult world through links with ancestors and supernatural beings.’
- ‘Nonetheless, in speaking to the world beyond, Makonde carvers employ a language of images grounded in their unique historical experience.’
- ‘This powerful Makonde mask with large rabbit ears, oval eyes and prominent teeth measures 16 1/2’ in height.’
- ‘These artists came to enjoy privileged status in Makonde society as demand grew within the church for their work.’
- ‘As you will see on this website, their is much more to Makonde art then these traditional Mapiko masks.’
The name in Makonde.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.