One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large continuous extent of land that includes the greater part of a country or territory, as opposed to offshore islands and detached territories.‘the mainland of Europe’as modifier ‘the growing important of mainland China’
- ‘The painted storks from Siberia and Algeria fly across the seas and mainlands for about 6,000 km to reach Veerapuram.’
- ‘The impossibly pretty town is mostly on an island on Lake Constance but spills over onto the mainland.’
- ‘Taiwanese law requires any local chip company investing in a venture on the mainland to declare the fact.’
- ‘Although it is close to the mainland, it used to be cut off for weeks at a time during stormy weather.’
- ‘It seemed the wind was so strong the island would be blown crashing into the shores of the mainland.’
- ‘For the same reasons sanctuaries were sited at the tip of capes or peninsulas or on an island close to the mainland.’
- ‘Skye is undeniably spectacular, but the island is now connected to the mainland by a bridge.’
- ‘Chiang had been forced to abandon the mainland and retreat to the island of Taiwan in 1949.’
- ‘A decade ago, private art collectors on the mainland were virtually unheard of.’
- ‘And then the same salmon may return to the islands after processing on the mainland.’
- ‘Thirty of the islands are connected to the mainland by a series of bridges and an overseas highway.’
- ‘The bridge basically connects the island of Seil to the mainland and the Atlantic flows all around.’
- ‘This was a deeply formative experience, dividing the fate of the island from the mainland.’
- ‘Subsoils on the mainland tend to be limestone, while on the islands they are mainly volcanic.’
- ‘In the 1950s bridges began to be built from the mainland to the outlying sea islands.’
- ‘It concerns a small community who hear that a film production is to take place on the mainland.’
- ‘The island, which was once attached to the mainland, is reached by a short ferry ride.’
- ‘Today we tend to see islands as backward places in comparison to the mainland.’
- ‘The geological fault lines underlying the eruptions stretch to the Italian mainland.’
- ‘Ironically, it was these ports on the Spanish mainland that needed reform if Spain was to benefit.’
1The largest island in Orkney.
2The largest island in Shetland.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.