One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large, powerful cat of a long-haired breed, originally from America.
- ‘One of the oldest natural breeds in North America, the Maine Coon is regarded as a native of the state of Maine.’
- ‘The Maine Coon is one of the largest purebreds, heavy-boned, broad-chested, with sturdy legs.’
- ‘The Maine Coon comes in a rainbow of colors.’
- ‘Most Maine Coons will stay close by, probably occupying the chair next to yours instead.’
- ‘The Maine Coon is well known for its loving nature, kindly disposition and great intelligence.’
1970s: so named because of partial resemblance to the raccoon.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.