One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A great Hindu sage or spiritual leader.
wise man, wise woman, learned man, learned woman, man of letters, woman of letters, philosopher, scholar, thinker, savant, solomon, nestor, solonView synonyms
- ‘He has read the Hindu mystics extensively, and delightedly recounts anecdotes about a southern Maharishi, Ramana, whose life has influenced him.’
- ‘But Maharishi has come up with a formula for world peace, which he believes can be achieved with large groups of meditators.’
- ‘The Maharishi summoned us to a room full of flowers and colour where he talked about life's journey, reincarnation and release from pain.’
- ‘Many people would agree with the Maharishi's political analysis, but they might have some issues with some of the more esoteric aspects of his teachings.’
- ‘The Maharishi talks less about what happens during meditation than its effects on everyday life.’
Alteration of Sanskrit maharṣi, from mahā ‘great’ + ṛṣi ‘rishi, sage, saint’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.