One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of the Mafia or a similar criminal organization.
hoodlum, racketeer, bandit, robber, ruffian, thug, tough, desperado, outlaw, villain, lawbreaker, criminalView synonyms
- ‘Brought up in a household of Mafiosi, living on the tough streets of Los Angeles, I was no fool about the violence other people do to each other.’
- ‘Today, however, many senior Mafiosi in Italy and America have turned the state's evidence against the organisation.’
- ‘Being the first non-Italian Mafioso was a very attractive position; it would bring him the power and respect he had wanted since he was a teenager.’
- ‘As he knew himself, however, his father's own status as a Mafioso protected him from reprisals.’
- ‘Hess also maintained that self-help promoted by self interest amongst individual Mafioso could often be mistaken for organizational solidarity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.