Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A form of arthritis caused by bacteria that are transmitted by ticks.
- ‘Other causes include Lyme disease, HIV, alcoholism, B12 deficiency, or diabetes.’
- ‘Some ticks transmit bacteria that cause illnesses such as Lyme disease or Rocky Mountain spotted fever.’
- ‘If a person develops the arthritis of late-stage Lyme disease, the symptoms are usually treated with oral antibiotics.’
- ‘Serum studies for echovirus, Coxsackie-virus, Lyme disease, and HIV were all negative.’
- ‘Meningitis can also be a feature of other diseases, including Lyme disease, Leptospirosis, Typhus, Tuberculosis and other infections.’
- ‘Mosquitoes can carry the malaria parasite or West Nile virus, and deer ticks may carry the bacterium that causes Lyme disease.’
- ‘The bacteria that cause Lyme disease are carried by deer ticks and western blacklegged ticks.’
- ‘The bacteria that cause relapsing fever are related to those bacteria that cause Lyme disease.’
- ‘Intermediate uveitis may be idiopathic or associated with multiple sclerosis, syphilis, Lyme disease or ocular lymphoma.’
- ‘It is often idiopathic in origin, but may be associated with multiple sclerosis, sarcoidosis, syphilis, Lyme disease, and ocular lymphoma.’
1970s: named after Lyme, a town in Connecticut, US, where an outbreak occurred.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.