Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The set of equations which in Einstein's special theory of relativity relate the space and time coordinates of one frame of reference to those of another.
- ‘The extent of this distortion of space and time is described by a set of equations that are now known as Lorentz transformations.’
- ‘According to Einstein's theory, a relativistic equation has to use coordinates that have the proper Lorentz transformation properties.’
- ‘Unlike the Galilean transformation, the Lorentz transformation involves a change of spatial distance and a change of time interval between two inertial systems.’
- ‘The reasoning is that, since Lorentz transformations are continuous, and since entropy can only change discontinuously, it follows that entropy must be invariant under Lorentz transformations.’
- ‘These experiments and others give us confidence in the Lorentz transformations and special relativity.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.