Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The title of the mayor in London and some other large British cities.‘he became Lord Mayor of Liverpool’
- ‘Businessmen gathered to hear him address a Lord Mayor's banquet in the City of London and cheered him as he laid into the firefighters.’
- ‘If you have a function or engagement that you wish the Lord Mayor to attend, please contact the Lord Mayor's Administrative Officer.’
- ‘Lord Mayors are addressed by the style of ‘The Right Worshipful’ but the Lord Mayors of 6 cities are entitled to the honorific style of ‘The Right Honourable’.’
- ‘At selected subsidiary companies of the city the Lord Mayor performs the function of the chairman of the supervisory board.’
- ‘The Lord Mayor and other city notables walk from the Guildhall to St Lawrence Jewry to hear a sermon.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.