One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A title of the British monarch, originally the title of an officer who governed the Royal Navy and had jurisdiction over maritime causes.
- ‘The third, John Russell, first Earl of Bedford, was made Lord High Admiral in 1540 at the age of 54.’
- ‘I believe a variation of the seal had been in use by the Lord High Admiral of Scotland about a century earlier.’
- ‘After the Armada campaign Howard continued to serve as Lord High Admiral in major expeditions afloat.’
- ‘As Lord High Admiral, James II flew a red ensign and a masthead flag bearing the insignia of that office.’
- ‘After he became Lord High Admiral in 1585, his company was known as the Admiral's Men.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.