One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chiefly tropical or subtropical plant of the bellflower family, in particular an annual widely grown as a bedding plant. Some kinds are aquatic, and some grow as thick-trunked shrubs or trees on African mountains.
Genus Lobelia, family Campanulaceae: many species, including the popular blue-flowered L. erinus
- ‘At the moorland region, you find the giant groundsels and lobelias common in the high altitude mountain regions of eastern Africa.’
- ‘She grows low or trailing annuals like alyssum, lobelias, and petunias along the edges of the beds, with taller cosmos, poppies, and zinnias behind.’
- ‘Annual bedding plants such as lobelia, salvia, petunia and busy Lizzie can be started early.’
- ‘Petunias, vinca vine, blue lobelia and alyssum all filled out quickly to cover the box.’
- ‘Herbal treatments may include garlic, eucalyptus, licorice, lobelia, marshmallow, red clover and saw palmetto.’
Modern Latin, named after Matthias de Lobel (1538–1616), Flemish botanist to James I.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.