One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A region and former province of central France, centred on Limoges.
1A native or inhabitant of Limousin.
2mass noun The French dialect of Limousin.
3An animal of a French breed of beef cattle.
- ‘It was shown yesterday by Eileen Wilson who shows crossbred cattle in partnership with Mrs Orme who runs 10 pedigree Limousins.’
- ‘Breeds were selected based on the number of available bulls and included Angus, Red Angus, Simmental, Charolais, Hereford, Gelbvieh, and Limousin.’
- ‘Joe and Deborah Green made 109p from a Limousin cross bull that they had bred and Martin and Jayne Brown of Folkton made the best price of the day at 111p per kilo.’
- ‘Fourteen teams were fielded in front of Mr Young who finally drew up a shortlist of six comprising the Limousins, Simmentals, Charolais, Highland, Aberdeen Angus and Belgian Blue.’
- ‘Also exhibited were Charolais, Simmental, Angus, Limousin and Hereford.’
- ‘The largest payment is believed to be £4.2 million, to Jim Goldie a farmer in Scotland who has lost all his pedigree Limousin and Charolais cattle.’
- ‘Twenty-four steers of mixed breeding (i.e., primarily Angus breeding crossed with either Limousin, Hereford, or Simmental) were placed in early winter on a 10-ha pasture.’
- ‘There were 91 cattle to sell and the continental bulls made up to a top of 105p/kilo for a smart Limousin from Mrs Towse of Welham.’
- ‘Other Cattle Breeds on show include Herefords, Simmentals, Charolais, Aberdeen Angus, Blonde D' Aquitaine, and Limousin.’
- ‘There is a full selection of classes at the Show and Sale for both male and female, covering Charolais, Limousin, Belgian Blue and all the non-continental breeds, with a prize fund of up to 100 euro in each class.’
- ‘In the beef section there are classes for Simmentals, shorthorns, Limousin, Charolais, Hereford, Belgian Blue and Parthenaise Cattle.’
- ‘In the inter-breed beef competition, his Simmental stood second to a Limousin from Co Antrim exhibitor, Bernard Mairs after a recount.’
- ‘Top honours in the commercial beef ring fell to Geoff Mellin, a retain butcher at Nelson, who keeps 15 Belgian Blue and Limousin breeding cattle for producing beef for sale in the shop.’
- ‘The Breed Societies (Charolais, Belgian Blue, Limousin, Simmental) and North Western Cattle Breeding Society at Sligo will supply breeding stock and their progeny to the venue.’
- ‘Any of the commonly used continental breeds would suffice for the scheme - Limousin, Charolais, Belgian Blue, Simmental.’
- ‘Placed at reserve was Geoff Mellin, a retail butcher at Nelson, Lancashire, who keeps 15 Belgian Blues and Limousin breeding cattle for producing beef for sale in the shop.’
- ‘To produce more-healthful beef, researchers and breeders can also look to Limousin and Charolais cattle, which naturally have a strong genetic potential towards lean tissue.’
- ‘The Limousin, Charolais and Simmental breeds can now give expected breeding values on their bulls.’
- ‘There will also be the usual classes for Angus Hereford, Shorthorn, Limousin, Salers, Charolais, Belgian Blue with many classes in the cattle commercial section.’
- ‘Entries have been particularly strong in the Limousin and Holstein cattle breeds and in the Texel and Suffolk sheep categories.’
Relating to the Limousins or their dialect.
- ‘It seems that he has been dumped with his uncles on a peasant homestead, with outside toilet, in the Limousin region of France, where things haven't changed since they burnt witches at the stake.’
- ‘It was alleged that on 10 June 1944, as they headed north to counter the Allied invasion, they had massacred 642 inhabitants of the Limousin village of Oradour-sur-Glane by imprisoning them in the church and setting it alight.’
- ‘Councillor Wilf Davison attended a meeting of the 30 towns twinned with communities in the Limousin region of France.’
- ‘A native of the Limousin region in France, Simone is content in her charming American farmhouse, but she still cooks like a French-woman, and many of her convivial meals reflect her heritage.’
- ‘The cinematography has been wildly overpraised, shot in high contrast black-and-white to remove all beauty and charm from the Limousin countryside.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.