Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the UK) Liberal Democrat.‘the Lib Dems have promised a wholesale review of policy’‘I'm voting Lib Dem’
- ‘We hope he will also join with us in urging the Lib Dem executive to now make headway on just such an initiative.’
- ‘At least a quarter of these orders have so far been made under Lib Dem councils.’
- ‘She favours the Lib Dem idea of replacing council tax with a local income tax, which would be fairer.’
- ‘He was defeated at last June's council elections when he stood as a Lib Dem.’
- ‘More importantly, where are our elected Lib Dem councillors in all of this?’
- ‘The only fair means by which we can tell what a Lib Dem government would be like is to look at how they behave when they do get to exercise power.’
- ‘He adopted the Lib Dem policy of an independent Bank of England to set interest rates.’
- ‘At each stage the Lib Dem majority on the council voted down our proposals.’
- ‘He said the Lib Dem vote increased at the last election and he believed the trend would continue.’
- ‘To suggest that there is a Lib Dem pact with Labour on the council is nonsense.’
- ‘The Lib Dem council then pursued an agenda of slashing services and accelerated privatisation.’
- ‘He briefly rejoined the Lib Dem fold before joining the breakaway Liberal Group last year.’
- ‘The Tory vote might hold, but the Lib Dem vote would fall as people switched back to Labour.’
- ‘The cost of the council event and the decision to provide lunch has been criticised by a Lib Dem councillor.’
- ‘The Lib Dem share of the vote at the last election was the largest since 1987.’
- ‘The Lib Dem councillor says the problem is so bad that one person told him he changed his plans to buy a house in the area.’
- ‘He accused the local Labour Party of stopping Lib Dem councillors from delivering his leaflets.’
- ‘Local police had to intervene when a row between Labour and Lib Dem supporters threatened to turn nasty.’
- ‘Last week we organised a lobby of the Lib Dem council to save our school.’
- ‘The Lib Dem policy on circuses is that all animals, apart from dogs and horses, should be banned from them.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.